Sunday, June 22, 2008

Kubuntu up and running

so ive been playing with Kubuntu for few hours now and im very pleased with the speed and stability of the OS.

High definition playback of x264 files did not work right out of box but to tell you the truth I didnt expect it to.

installing codecs was only few clicks away and took only about 2 minutes to download and install them for the default media player.

since I can never leave anything alone I went ahead and downloaded VLC media player to see if it has better capabilities. the player came with all needed codecs just as I expected.

after playing few different movies I noticed huge difference in playback quality compared to watching same videos on Windows.
the picture was clear and sharp and the PC no longer had hick ups that I experienced under Windows.

I only found one problem so far. sometimes I have gotten errors when trying to play files that had DTS audio track instead of AC3 but im not sure why,ill just figure it out when or if I get the error a againg.

No comments: